Read the Retire section of the Members Change of Status Procedures and section 5 of the ABCFP Bylaws for the full details on eligibility criteria.
Council may admit a registered (RFT or RPF) or an associate (ATC, ATE, NRP, SAS) member to the retired membership category who:
- Satisfies council that they are not engaged in the practice of professional forestry as defined in the Foresters Act and they do not intend to return to practice in the future; and
- Is fifty-five (55) years of age or older, or, if not fifty five (55) years of age or older, can demonstrate extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of council.
Are you Eligible for Life Membership Status?
Life membership is a special honour available to retiring registered members (RFT or RPF) who have made an exemplary contribution to the profession of forestry or the practice of forest technology. For information read the Life Membership page.
Apply for Retired Status
1. Confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements.
See the Eligibility Requirements section above.
2. Complete the online change of status request form and submit the required fees.
Retiring between December 1 – January 31
- You may apply for retired status, for the next fiscal year, if you are retiring from professional practice between December 1 - January 31 (during the membership renewal period).
- Complete the application below and submit the retired members annual fee of $45.55 before the December 1 due date in order to renew your membership. You will be required to inform us of your final day of work and we will process your request accordingly.
Retiring between February 1 – August 31
- You are required to renew your active membership status and pay the full annual fee by the December 1 due date if you are retiring from professional practice at some point between February 1 to August 31.
- Apply for retired status when you are within a month of your retirement date, and a portion of your annual fees will be refunded in accordance with the abatements after approval.
Retiring between September 1 – November 30
Apply to Retire Here
- You may apply for retired status for the current fiscal year. However, no refunds will be made during this period for the status change.
Check Your Application Status
Check COS Application Status Here
- Retired status requests must be approved by the Registrar, Professional Practice Committee (PPC), the Board of Examiners, and/or Council. The process takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Requests are considered on an ongoing basis; a decision is rendered at the end of each month.
- Requests received in October and early November are approved in December for the new fiscal year.
Reinstate From Retired Status
If you wish to return to practice, you may be eligible to reinstate your membership to active status. See the Reinstate page for information.